Blodgett Pizza Oven: A Potential Owner’s Guide To Baking Perfect Pizzas Every Time
Blodgett pizza ovens are industry leaders in the field of cooking and baking. Choosing the right model for your pizza baking business will ensure that you get the best performance for any given job. The following are some excerpts from the Blodgett gas oven model 1048 manual.
Blodgett Deck ovens have set standards throughout the industry in terms of excellence for the quality, performance and reliability of baking equipment. When the ovens are properly installed and maintained, their simple design and durable construction will ensure years of trouble-free operation.
Main Parts of a Blodgett Pizza Oven
1. Ultra Rokite Platform: The stone platform that absorbs the heat from below and cooks the bottom of the product.
2. Steel cover: also absorbs heat from below to cook the bottom of the product.
3. Platform Supports – To support the oven platforms.
4. Deck Seal: Seals the gap between the deck and the front of the oven.
5.Control Panel – Contains the wiring and components to operate the oven.
6. Burner Compartment: Located under the cooking chamber and encloses the combustion burners.
7. Combustion Burners: Provide heat to the baking chamber and cooktops.
8. Deflector: redirects part of the heat from the combustion burners to the smoke plates.
9. Chimney plates: they are located on the interior side walls of the cooking chamber. They conduct heat from the burners to the oven cavity. This heat cooks the top of the product before it comes out of the oven.
The following guidelines must be followed to ensure airflow:
Place the oven in an area free from drafts.
Keep the oven area free and clear of all combustibles such as paper, cardboard, and flammable liquids and solvents.
Do not place the oven on the base of a curb or seal it to a wall. This will restrict airflow and prevent proper ventilation.
Pilot outages or yellow floating flames on the main burners are indicative of a lack of secondary air.
The oven must be installed with the legs supplied by the manufacturer.
Operating the 1048 series oven is as simple as 1, 2, 3: power on, preheat, and load.
1. Turn off the MANUAL CONTROL VALVE.
2. Press the red button on the AUTOMATIC SAFETY PILOT VALVE.
3. Apply a match or type of light to the pilot burner.
4.After the pilot burner lights, continue to hold the red button for about 30 seconds and release.
5. Turn on the MANUAL CONTROL VALVE.
6. Set THERMOSTAT to the desired temperature.
1.At initial startup, preheat oven to 600°F (315°C) over a four hour period in 100°F (55°C) increments beginning at 300°F (149°C).
2.Check the oven periodically. This will temper the Ultra Rokite racks and burn off any oil and fiberglass residue.
NOTE: The 1048 (with Ultra Rokite shelves) will require an additional 20 minutes of preheating to 600°F (315°C).
Pan pizza should be rotated on the rack to allow it to recover its heat loss from the previous bake.
Do not allow trays to touch each other or the sides of the oven.
Open doors as little as possible.
The platform is designed for cooking pizza and bread products, other types of food can be cooked on
pans or containers.
Cooking temperatures vary with different products. Experiment with the initial bakes until you find the ideal combination of time and temperature.
Example: bake pizza
1.Make multiple bakes at 500°F (260°C). Take note of the time required to achieve a firm crust.
2.If the cheese breaks down too quickly or burns, lower the temperature and lengthen the baking time.
3. For faster production, perform additional bakes by increasing the temperature in 25°F (15°C) increments.
4. Record the results to determine the highest temperature you can bake at and achieve quality results with maximum output.
NOTE: Extraction time is critical at high temperatures.
Time to cook
Cooking times vary depending on the amount of product loaded, the type of pan, and the temperature. Raising the temperature to reduce cooking time is effective up to a point. Then the quality of baking begins to suffer.
Your reliable partner
A Blodgett pizza oven in your restaurant kitchen is an excellent partner in meeting the demands of your customers. Once it is fully installed and properly configured, you can focus your time and effort on making new pizza recipes or improving old ones.